Less is More


When you visit an exhibit at an art gallery or museum, less is more. If you wish to have a vivd memory of the art-work for years to come, I would advise that you stick to viewing only one specific exhibition. Typically, there are numerous exhibitions on display, and it would seem to make sense to see as many as you can. You would think that the more art that you viewed during one visit the better your experience would be, but I would argue the opposite; in my experience the more art you try to cram in, the less you will remember.

I had always wanted to see the works of Winslow Homer, and a few years ago I received a tip that a special exhibition would be on display at the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, MA. The museum was a two and half hour drive from my house in CT. Two days before the trip, I was discussing art with a curator friend who advised me on sticking only to viewing the Homer's exhibit, although there would be many other things to see. At first, I thought this was  absurd, since it would be my first time attending and the museum was a long drive away so naturally, I wanted to get the most of my trip. But I took her advice and spent a long time only in the Winslow Homer exhibit. As I walked the floor with my electronic gadget that would tell the story of each painting, I got lost in the art; I can still recall each painting as vividly as the day I saw them.

So trust me, when it comes to viewing art, less is more. Certainly, you will find those who will argue that it is best to see as much as possible, especially if you are not a frequent visitor to galleries or museums. At first glance, their opinion might sound persuasive and you may be tempted to "get the most bang for your buck" by viewing as many exhibits as possible. But if you do that, you will be physically and intellectually drained, and you will not want to visit another gallery or museum any time soon. So don't overdo it; you will have a much better experience if you focus on one exhibit per trip.





No comments:

Post a Comment